In your exploration of the arts, I recommend that you educate yourself with outside reading and study. Here are some suggested titles to get more information about the history and function of the martial arts.
- Parting the Clouds: A Fighter’s Guide to the Physics of Punching and Kicking, by Grenville Harrop
- The Book of Five Rings, by Miyamoto Musashi
- The Art of War, by Sun-Tzu
- Karate: the Art of "Empty-Hand" Fighting, by Hidetaka Nishiyama
- Classical Bujutsu, by Donn F. Draeger
- Meditations on Violence, by Rory Miller
- Scaling Force, by Rory Miller
- Living the Martial Way, by Forrest E. Morgan
- Martial Mechanics, by Phillip Starr
Video Study Aids
I have uploaded some videos as a study aid for my students. While the videos won't make too much sense without the context I provide in class, all are welcome to view the public videos for information and to hear the beginner's interpretation of a few bunkai from our system.